- Total maximum new snow between 5/20-5/25 above treeline in the Sangre De Cristo’s likely ranged from 1-4 feet. Amounts below treeline were likely on the low end of this range with melting and compaction.
- The biggest totals might favor East facing slopes.
- SWE maxed out at 4.1″ over Hayden Pass and 3.8″ at South Colony 5/20-5/25.
- A sharp cut-off might exist (N to S) with a lot less snow accumulation south of the Crestone Group.
- Three straight days of wind gusts to 65mph likely generated significant drifting.
Custer County Search and Rescue is warning Memorial Day Weekend hikers and climbers. Full winter gear on the 13ers and 14ers.
New Snow 5/20-5/25
A guess at maximum new snow 5/20-5/25 (assuming all snow and no mixing):
- Crestone Peak: 38″ (3.8″ SWE)
- Hayden Pass: 41″ (4.1″ SWE)
- Rio Alto Peak: 36-41″
Air temps below treeline warmed above freezing most days suggesting snow compaction and melting.
A cold front delivers new snow to Colorado 5/29-5/30.
Snow forecast 5/26-6/4: